Friday, March 23, 2012

can't focus, movie at 3

So, the tickets are bought.  The midnight showing was sold out (EPIC parent fail on our part for not buying them ahead of time!) but we are booked for the first showing after school today with Reagan.  As I sat this morning reading ALL the reviews I came across this little tidbit and thought it worth sharing:

We like the Hunger Games because we want to identify with the rebellion.  If we look closely though, we are often more likely to find ourselves, however unintentionally, siding with the Capitol.  We turn a blind eye to suffering, allowing the rest of the world to meet our every need and desire, though it costs them their lives.  We sit in air-conditioned luxury, practicing Twitter activism, while people around the world (and in our neighborhoods) starve.

Again, in trying to connect with my 11 year old, I examine her world view, which is still small (so is mine if I'm honest).  At this age, perhaps this is a way to expose her to what else is out there. There are many countries forcing young children (even younger than the tributes in these books) into armies Joseph Kony is not the only one to be held responsible.  Those children fight for things they don't clearly understand and often the fighting can be traced to goods shipped/supplied to the Western world.  Humans (child humans) work outrageous hours in factories instead of attending school so that we can shop for the latest fashion when their paychecks are barely enough to feed their families.  Is it wrong, yes.  Does she know, no.  (Does HG give me the opportunity to discuss these things, yup!)

Often times when I study (you know, that other book ; )) I find myself identifying with the sacrificial heroes.  Don't we all pretend to be the woman who gives everything she has (Mark 12:44) and not the crowd tossing money in for the collection, giving what they will "never miss"?  Or am I the pharisee with stone in hand turning over the woman caught in the act of adultry in John 8?  I am reminded over and over again in the scriptures - I'm part of the crowd.  I'm the pharisee. I am lazy and oblivious like the Capitol citizens, and at times manipulative and war hungry like their officials.

So today, I am praying for my daughter's heart, that it will grow like the widow woman's and not like the crowd's.  That she will find grace and not stones.  That she will be virtuous like the heroes and praying that I don't get in the way of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment